Friday 15 April 2011

Feeds

This is all new to me.  After watching the Common Craft video I realise that I am that person who wastes valuable time searching all my favourite websites & blogs to see if there are any updates. Set up my 3 RSS Feeds - The Library Association, The Man Booker Prize and my Union. What a useful tool. I imagine I will find the Topic Search very good for keeping up with a particular news story in the short term i.e. The Croke Park Deal or Numeracy and Literacy in Ireland. It could be very useful in the library - as a Current Awareness Tool for the Information Service. Sending mails to academic staff could earn us some brownie points...."did you see the latest development in numeracy skills assessment from Australia..." type of thing.  People feel overwhelmed by the amount of information out there (we work in a library and we feel it) -and we could use RSS feeds in a way that could potentially help our users to navigate their way through it. The ideas on the blog from Newcastle are fascinating and I definitely think we should try to do some of them here in our library.

No comments:

Post a Comment