Wednesday 6 April 2011

Folksonomy versus Taxonomy

"Somebody explained folksonomy to the librarian..."
This is hard for librarians. We like our guides and standards. I was a cataloguer at one stage so letting go of Dewey and Library of Congress and AACR2 is scary. I think allowing students to tag on the catalogue is a good one but librarians will need to let go...The example that sticks in my head was someone seeing a picture of an elephant on the web and deciding that it was the perfect grey to paint their front door so they tagged the elephant "front door"...For the love of God I hear all the cataloguers around the world shouting.....i know, I know.  Web 2.0 = Radical Trust. What about the idea of banking €25,000 with an e-book supplier and allowing the students to order whatever book they want (via the catalogue) from the supplier directly.

No comments:

Post a Comment