Wednesday 4 May 2011

Is Social Media a Fad?

Looked at the socialnomics video - hard to argue. I don't think it's a fad. I think it's the way we do business. I was wondering on Tuesday morning whether or not to bother to tell my daughter that Osama Bin Laden was dead. Is this worth mentioning to a 13 year old - do they really need to know this stuff? She knew already...she got a chain text via her mobile. Enough said. The news finds us now.
I can see the benefit of Twitter. I think when a big news story unfolds too quickly for print media (recent election) social media comes into its own. I've been a reader of the Irish Times since College (late 80's / early 90's gulp) but you knew the Times was a day behind with the news...we can no longer live with this.

2 comments:

  1. Also, we get more perspectives through Social Media. So, if we have the energy!! we can read a lot of stuff. But I also suspect that we will get used to skimming information. Grand for general use, I suppose. I wonder in 100 years how all the information will be processed by researchers. I'm sure there will be a whole different unimaginable way of dealing with information. Just think 100 years ago there was no concept of mobile phones. You went out and got your information, you waited in for phone calls, you called a building. Life was slower. Back to the old days, I say!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Isn't that a sign of the times your 13 year old being texted about Bin Ladens death. The World has changed so much even since 911 attacks. I was in the States when it happened and it was a nightmare trying to find out when international flights were resuming etc even the internet was less uptodate back then. And there was no social media, it's scary how quick things change!

    ReplyDelete